How To Get Rid of Spiders
A. Sanitation-Reduce Favorable Spider Conditions
Remove some infestation sources such as clutter in the yard and crawl spaces and any ground covers against the foundational walls. Any sanitation step to remove favorable conditions is the first step in spider control. Getting rid of other insects with a routine insecticide treatment should be considered, since other insects are their food sources.
- Jt Eaton Webster Cobweb Duster Head is very handy to clean cobwebs. This head can be placed on any standard threaded pole found at your local home improvement store.
- Web Out is a natural product that not only removes the spider webs, but repels the spiders as well. It will last 5-6 months inside and 2-3 months outside.
B. Kill Spiders and Insects- Insecticides
Insecticide Concentrates & Aerosols
- Perimeter Spray Treatment - If spiders are coming indoors, hunting for their prey, spray a residual insecticide treatment around all entry points and the perimeter of your house. Spray anywhere they are webbing, on decks, under eaves, on porches and other areas on the exterior of buildings.
- Indoor Spray Treatment - Spray along baseboards, in corners and under furniture. Use an insecticide aerosol with a crack and crevice tip to spray along baseboards, window and door frames, corners, pipes and other areas where spiders may crawl. These aerosols are convenient to spray in areas where a water based product can not reach.
Suggested Insecticide Concentrates and Aerosols
- D-Fense SC - Encapsulated;spray inside and outside.
- Cyper WP - Wettable powder; may be used inside or outside.
- Onslaught FastCap - Microencapsultated;fast acting; may be used inside or outside
- D-Force HPX Aerosol- With crack & crevice tip- Last 4-8 weeks.
- Fireback Spider Spray Jet - Has a jet stream application to spray in higher areas.
- Zenprox Aerosol - Botanical/Pyrethroid, quick kill and residual with 360 degree valve(for upside down spraying
C. Insecticide Dusts- Additional Treatment
Dustin Mizer cranks out a lot of dust for great coverage in attics.
D. Monitoring with Spider Traps
The Biocare Spider Trap will catch spiders and silverfish. This would also be useful as a monitoring tool.
General Spider Characteristics
Many species of spiders are common household pests in the United States. Spiders are considered a beneficial pest because of their prey to other insects and many people do not consider spider control measures for most spiders. Because spiders have eight legs, they are easy to separate from insects, which have only six legs. Another distinction between spiders and other pests is that spiders do not have wings or antennae. Spiders are arachnids.
Location of Spiders
Some Spiders populations are found in humid and moist locations like basements and crawl spaces. Other Spiders prefer dry and warm places. They can be found in upper corners of rooms and attics as well as sub floor air-vents. Spiders prefer to hide in dark areas and in cracks as a retreat in order to construct material for their webs.
Spider Webs (Cobwebs)
Spider Bites and Venom
In order to kill their prey, all spiders use venom. Not all spiders however are dangerous to humans.
Although there is generally little danger resulting from spider bites from most spiders, it is advisable to consult a physician from spider bites.
BLACK WIDOW SPIDERS
The female has a shiny black, globular abdomen with two yellow or red markings in a triangle shape. It looks like an hourglass. Males are smaller, lighter in color, with light streaks on the abdomen. The web is irregular, many times found along exterior foundations on slabs, under stones and rocks, behind shrubs .They usually don't enter structures .They will bite if provoked. The bite feels like a sharp pain ,like a needle puncture. After 15 minutes to an hour there will be muscular cramps. Bites are rarely fatal, but you should seek medical attention.
Click here: Black Widow Spiders For more information on black widow spiders.
BROWN RECLUSE SPIDERS
The body is yellow to dark brown, with the body size of 1/3-1/2 inch long. Combined with the legs it could be about 1 inch or longer in diameter .The dorsal has a dark brown violin shaped marking, very distinctive. Their web is off white to Gray .They can be found outside, under rocks, debris, wood piles, etc.,but many times they are found inside.
Brown Recluse spiders can be found in storage areas like closets, basements, bathrooms, bedrooms, attics, garages and cellars. Sometimes they can be around above the ceiling duct work or register. When inspecting for Brown Recluse spiders, use gloves and a flashlight. The Brown Recluse likes to stay hidden. There webs are off white to gray colors and they are not extensive.
Many times people get bit by putting their hands or feet in something that has been in storage. You should always wear gloves when handling debris outside the home The initial bite is not intense, but poisonous. After 8-12 hours, the pain is more intense, and over the next few days large sores form leaving a disfiguring scar. You should seek immediate medical treatment after the bite.
Click here: Brown Recluse Spiders for more information on brown recluse spiders.